What is the Sports Trader Apprenticeship Program?
This apprenticeship scheme is designed to help those individuals hoping to make the first move into the world of sports-betting and trading, and those companies looking to develop existing employees or hire new and diverse talent outside of the established and available pool.
The apprenticeship scheme will be jointly developed by the All-In Diversity Project and the Sports Trading Network in partnership with the industry’s sportsbook, betting and trading specialists to cover all forms of sports and non-sports betting and all trading models across the world.
Whilst an apprenticeship does not guarantee a job at the end of the placement, it does give participants a great head-start – not just knowledge but actual workplace experience with a leading sports-betting operator.
Why Sports Betting?
- Sports Betting offers job opportunities that appeal to a wide audience including students, data scientists, fans of sports, esports and popular culture
- Sports Betting jobs can offer flexibility
- The jobs pay well and can offer great benefits to employees
- Sports betting businesses are high tech and really fun
An apprenticeship is designed to give individuals a solid understanding of sports-betting and trading following by a work placement within an established sports-betting and trading team.
Successful applicants will be required to complete the training modules applicable to their apprenticeship prior to taking up the placement.
What will you learn?
Pre-Placement Training Modules
- Fractions, decimals, money-line and will pays (Totalisator systems)
- Market movers and deductions
- Sports betting – outright to in-play
- Racing – tissue prices, shows (ante-post to starting price) and will pays (totalisator pools)
- International racing – forecasts, pari-mutuel and coupling
- Specials & novelty markets – from elections to Eurovision
- How to create a betting market or ‘book’
- Data feeds and market and margin maker tools
- How to maintain the book – market movers and non-runners
- Handicap betting
- Related contingencies
- Bespoke and personalised bet markets
- Field books, liability control and risk management
- Automated trading tools
- Managing market movement
- Trading tools – comparison sites, exchanges and competitors
- Know Your Customer – favourite backers, in the know, value hunters and arbitrages
- Accumulators and early cash-outs
- Insider trading & collusion – acting on information
- Market manipulation – dodging handicappers, throwing races and exchanges
- Match, spot and race fixing
- Identifying and reacting to unusual betting patterns
Social Responsibility & Security:
- Using betting patterns to identifying potential problem gamblers
- Trading teams as a first line of defence against fraud and criminality
Who can apply for an Apprenticeship?
- Employees in the racing, betting and gambling industry looking to move into sports-betting;
- Individuals outside of the industry with transferable skills (accounting, finance, risk management, etc);
- Individuals wanting to turn their passionate for sports, racing or entertainment into a career (anoraks, geeks, arm-chair pundits and stats fans);
- Retiring/retired amateur and professional sportspeople (ex-players, jockeys, etc.) looking for a ‘desk’ job;
- Professional punters/gamblers looking for a second career;
Not started an application yet? You can apply now for our Apprentice opportunities which will begin in February 2019 – just register your details and you’re good to go!
Please ensure that you use a personal email address that you will have access to throughout the recruitment process. We would not advise you to register an email that is supported by an academic institution that you will not have access to after graduation.